- 2 medium red onions (340g)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g (12½oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ cups (375ml) beef stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (220g) risoni
- ⅓ cup (55g) kalamata olives
- 500 grams minced lamb
- 200 grams firm fetta, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (70g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano, plus extra leaves to serve
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1¼ teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Coarsely grate half an onion. Thinly slice the remaining 1½ onions.
- 2Make 'sausages'. Combine lamb, grated onion (from step 1), 125g (4oz) of the fetta, the egg, breadcrumbs, spices, chopped oregano, currants and salt, using your hands to mix very well. Season with pepper. Shape ¼ cups of mixture into oval sausage shapes; place on a tray. Cover; refrigerate until required.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat; cook 'sausages', turning, for 2 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a tray.
- 4Add sliced onion to same pan; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add canned tomatoes, paste, stock, sugar and vinegar, then season well with salt and pepper; bring to the boil. Transfer mixture to a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker along with the 'sausages'.
- 5Cook, covered, on low, for 3 hours (or high for 1½ hours). Add risoni and olives; stir gently to combine. Cook, covered, for a further 20 minutes or until risoni is tender.
- 6Serve topped with remaining crumbled fetta and extra oregano leaves.
You could also cook this recipe in the oven at 150°C/300°F for 1½ hours. If you want more veg, stir through 30g (1oz) baby spinach at the end of the cooking time and serve with
a green salad.This recipe can be made 1-2 days ahead. Store covered, in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022