Slow-cooker corned beef
- 1.5 kilogram piece corned silverside
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2.5 litre (10 cups) water, approximately
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 45 gram butter
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
Slow-cooker corned beef with horseradish sauce
- 1Rinse beef under cold water; pat dry with absorbent paper. Place beef, onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, vinegar and sugar in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Add enough of the water to barely cover beef. Cook, covered on low for 8 hours.
- 3Remove beef from cooker; discard liquid and vegetables. Cover beef to keep warm.
- 4Make horseradish sauce. Heat milk until hot. Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in horseradish cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Serve beef with sauce.
The horseradish sauce is best made just before serving. However, if you make it earlier, cover the surface of the sauce with plastic wrap to stop a skin from forming. Reheat gently in a saucepan, stirring, until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019