Slow-cooker corned beef
- 1.5 kilogram piece corned silverside
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), chopped coarsely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped coarsely
- 1 stalk celery (150g), trimmed, chopped coarsely
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2.5 litre (10 cups) water, approximately
- 2 cup (500ml) milk
- 45 gram butter
- 2 tablespoon plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
Slow-cooker corned beef with horseradish sauce
- 1Rinse beef under cold water; pat dry with absorbent paper. Place beef, onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, vinegar and sugar in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker.
- 2Add enough of the water to barely cover beef. Cook, covered on low for 8 hours.
- 3Remove beef from cooker; discard liquid and vegetables. Cover beef to keep warm.
- 4Make horseradish sauce. Heat milk until hot. Melt butter in a medium saucepan, add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually add milk, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens. Stir in horseradish cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Serve beef with sauce.
The horseradish sauce is best made just before serving. However, if you make it earlier, cover the surface of the sauce with plastic wrap to stop a skin from forming. Reheat gently in a saucepan, stirring, until heated through.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneJul 19, 2019
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesJul 19, 2019
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019