- 20 spring onions (500g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 rindless bacon slices (390g), sliced thinly
- 440 gram button mushrooms
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1.8 kilogram whole chicken
- 2 cup (500ml) dry red wine
- 2 medium carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (35g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 4cm (1½ inches) of stem attached; trim roots leaving onions intact. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned all over, remove from pan. Add bacon, mushrooms and garlic to same pan; cook, stirring, until bacon is crisp, remove from pan.
- 2Cut chicken into 12 pieces. Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook chicken, in batches, until browned all over; drain on paper towel. Add wine to same pan; bring to the boil, stirring.
- 3Place chicken in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker with onions, bacon and mushroom mixture, carrot, herbs, stock, wine mixture and paste. Cook, covered, on low, about 7 hours.
- 4Stir in blended cornflour and the water; cook, covered, on high, for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste.
Not suitable to freeze. This recipe is great served with creamy mashed potato drizzled with some of the sauce; accompany with a green salad. Use shallots instead of spring onions. Use chicken pieces, such as 6 thigh cutlets and 6 drumsticks or 6 marylands, or ask your butcher to cut the chicken into serving pieces for you.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsYesterday 7:15am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladYesterday 1:30am
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019