- 16 spring onions (400g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 375 gram button mushrooms
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped coarsley
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1.2 kilogram gravy beef, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (600g), sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 8cm of stems attached; trim roots.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan; cook onions, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in wine, paste and sugar; bring to the boil, boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- 3Place beef, fennel and onion mixture in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours.
- 4Before serving, stir in parsley; season to taste.
Chuck steak or any stewing steak can be used instead of gravy beef. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- South-East Asian dinner recipesYesterday 11:51pm
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterYesterday 2:00pm
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pumpkin sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pineapple upside-down cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Custard tartYesterday 2:00pm
- Impossible pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Vietnamese beef brisketMay 29, 2020
- Baked rice custardMay 29, 2020
- Boeuf bourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Braised beef brisketMay 28, 2020
- Pressure Cooker Beef BourguignonMay 28, 2020
- Easy guacamoleMay 28, 2020
- All of our best nachos recipesMay 28, 2020
- Hasselback potatoesMay 28, 2020