- 16 spring onions (400g)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 375 gram button mushrooms
- 4 rindless bacon slices (260g), chopped coarsley
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1.2 kilogram gravy beef, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium fennel bulbs (600g), sliced thickly
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Trim green ends from onions, leaving about 8cm of stems attached; trim roots.
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan; cook onions, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in wine, paste and sugar; bring to the boil, boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
- 3Place beef, fennel and onion mixture in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, 8 hours.
- 4Before serving, stir in parsley; season to taste.
Chuck steak or any stewing steak can be used instead of gravy beef. This recipe is not suitable to freeze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladYesterday 11:40pm
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019