- 1 kilogram (2-pound) piece pork neck (scotch fillet roast)
- 185 gram (6 ounces) italian pork sausages
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (70g) coarsely chopped, unsalted roasted shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (150g), quartered
- 4 clove garlic, halved
- 2 unpeeled pears (460g), quartered
- 2/3 cup (160ml) alcoholic apple cider
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1Place pork on board; slice through thickest part of pork horizontally, without cutting all the way through. Open pork out to form one large piece; trim pork.
- 2Squeeze filling from sausages into small bowl, mix in egg yolk, nuts and chopped sage; season. Press sausage mixture along one long side of pork; roll pork to enclose filling. Tie pork with kitchen string at 2.5cm (1-inch) intervals.
- 3Heat oil in large frying pan; cook pork until browned all over. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to same pan; cook, stirring, until onion softens.
- 4Place pears and onion mixture in 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; top with pork then add cider and sage leaves. Cook, covered, on low, 6 hours.
- 5Serve sliced pork with pear and onion mixture. Sprinkle with extra sage leaves, if you like.
Italian sausages are coarse pork sausages generally sold in plump links. They are usually flavoured with garlic and fennel seed or anise seed, and come in two styles hot (flavoured with thai red chilli) and sweet (without the added heat). They are available from speciality butchers and delicatessens.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Baked rice custardToday 5:26am
- Slow-cooked beef ragu with pappardelleToday 2:21am
- Beef WellingtonToday 12:27am
- Slow cooker bean bourgignonYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker veal rolls (involtini) with prosciutto and sageYesterday 2:00pm
- Spinach gozlemeYesterday 2:00pm
- 45 comforting custard dessertsYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Ragù alla bologneseYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow cooker lamb shanks with tomato, chilli and fettaYesterday 2:00pm
- Duxelles-filled lamb leg with roast vegetablesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cauliflower cheeseYesterday 7:00am
- Slow-cooker Thai basil and chilli chicken with cashewsYesterday 6:15am
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesYesterday 5:15am
- Lemon drizzle cakeYesterday 4:18am