- 1 kilogram (2-pound) piece pork neck (scotch fillet roast)
- 185 gram (6 ounces) italian pork sausages
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup (70g) coarsely chopped, unsalted roasted shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion (150g), quartered
- 4 clove garlic, halved
- 2 unpeeled pears (460g), quartered
- 2/3 cup (160ml) alcoholic apple cider
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- 1Place pork on board; slice through thickest part of pork horizontally, without cutting all the way through. Open pork out to form one large piece; trim pork.
- 2Squeeze filling from sausages into small bowl, mix in egg yolk, nuts and chopped sage; season. Press sausage mixture along one long side of pork; roll pork to enclose filling. Tie pork with kitchen string at 2.5cm (1-inch) intervals.
- 3Heat oil in large frying pan; cook pork until browned all over. Remove from pan. Add onion and garlic to same pan; cook, stirring, until onion softens.
- 4Place pears and onion mixture in 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow cooker; top with pork then add cider and sage leaves. Cook, covered, on low, 6 hours.
- 5Serve sliced pork with pear and onion mixture. Sprinkle with extra sage leaves, if you like.
Italian sausages are coarse pork sausages generally sold in plump links. They are usually flavoured with garlic and fennel seed or anise seed, and come in two styles hot (flavoured with thai red chilli) and sweet (without the added heat). They are available from speciality butchers and delicatessens.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021