- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 900 gram beef sirloin
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 4 shallots (100g), quartered
- 2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C/180°C fan-forced).
- 2Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish; cook beef, uncovered, over high heat until browned. Place dish in oven; roast, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until beef is cooked as desired.
- 3Remove beef from dish; cover to keep warm. Place dish with pan juices over high heat, add carrot, shallot and celery; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are well-browned. Add flour; cook, stirring, about 4 minutes or until mixture is dark brown. Add paste, stock and the water; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 4Strain sauce, discard vegetables. Slice beef; serve with espagnole.
If using purchased stock, make sure sauce does not overly reduce or it will become bitter and salty. Espagnole sauce suits game and red meat best.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- RatatouilleToday 6:11am
- Easter lunch recipesToday 12:43am
- Vegetarian eggplant recipesToday 12:20am
- Scone recipesYesterday 11:38pm
- PikeletsYesterday 6:00pm
- Gluten-free sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter baking ideasYesterday 2:00pm
- Irish soda bread rollsYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious cornflake cookies and slicesYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Sausage casseroleYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef bourguignon and potato pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Easter carrot cake with spiced buttercream & caramel sauceYesterday 2:30am
- Melting momentsApr 06, 2020
- Easter bunny cakeApr 06, 2020
- Caramel melting momentsApr 06, 2020