- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 900 gram beef sirloin
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 4 shallots (100g), quartered
- 2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C/180°C fan-forced).
- 2Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish; cook beef, uncovered, over high heat until browned. Place dish in oven; roast, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until beef is cooked as desired.
- 3Remove beef from dish; cover to keep warm. Place dish with pan juices over high heat, add carrot, shallot and celery; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are well-browned. Add flour; cook, stirring, about 4 minutes or until mixture is dark brown. Add paste, stock and the water; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 4Strain sauce, discard vegetables. Slice beef; serve with espagnole.
If using purchased stock, make sure sauce does not overly reduce or it will become bitter and salty. Espagnole sauce suits game and red meat best.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021