- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 900 gram beef sirloin
- 2 carrots (240g), chopped coarsely
- 4 shallots (100g), quartered
- 2 trimmed celery stalks (200g), chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cup (500ml) beef stock
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C/180°C fan-forced).
- 2Heat oil in large flameproof casserole dish; cook beef, uncovered, over high heat until browned. Place dish in oven; roast, uncovered, about 45 minutes or until beef is cooked as desired.
- 3Remove beef from dish; cover to keep warm. Place dish with pan juices over high heat, add carrot, shallot and celery; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes or until vegetables are well-browned. Add flour; cook, stirring, about 4 minutes or until mixture is dark brown. Add paste, stock and the water; bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 4Strain sauce, discard vegetables. Slice beef; serve with espagnole.
If using purchased stock, make sure sauce does not overly reduce or it will become bitter and salty. Espagnole sauce suits game and red meat best.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateYesterday 1:00pm
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoYesterday 1:00pm
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020