Six-layer chocolate cake
- 350 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cup (660g) caster sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) buttermilk
- 600 gram dark chocolate, melted
- 375 gram butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (120g) icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°F. Grease two deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pans; line bases with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, extract and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until just combined. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- 3Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into cake mixture, in two batches. Divide mixture into pans.
- 4Bake cakes 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans.
- 5Make chocolate icing: Whisk chocolate and butter together in a medium bowl; whisk in sifted icing sugar. Cool icing to room temperature; whisk until thickened and spreadable. Reserve half the icing to cover top and side of cake.
- 6Split cakes into three layers; place one layer on a plate, spread with one-fifth of the icing. Repeat layering with cake and icing, finishing with a cake layer. Spread reserved icing over top and side.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneToday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesToday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 1:10am
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 12:01am
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019