- 2 x 470g packaged butter cake mix
- 250 gram butter
- 3 cup (480g) icing sugar
- 4 tablespoon milk
- purple food colouring
- 125 gram store-bought white icing
- 2 tablespoon pure icing sugar
- yellow food colouring
- 1 white marshmallow, halved
- 22 yellow smarties
- 36 purple smarties
- 5 centimetre piece black licorice strap
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease and flour 26cm x 35cm (10½-inch x 14-inch) baking dish.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet. Spread mixture into dish; bake about 50 minutes. Stand cake in dish 10 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Level top of cake; turn cake cut-side down. Using picture as a guide, cut number six from cake. Cut through the number six, trim and shape the cake to make the snake's head.
- 4To make butter cream, beat butter until white as possible, gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar then milk, then remaining icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
- 5Position cake, cut-side down, on 30cm x 40cm (12-inch x 16-inch) rectangular prepared cake board; secure with a little butter cream.
- 6Tint three-quarters of the butter cream purple; spread all over cake, leaving the snake's head plain. Tint remaining butter cream dark purple; spread over snake's head.
- 7Knead icing on surface dusted with sifted icing sugar until icing loses its stickiness; tint yellow. Divide icing into five portions; roll each portion into a 5mm rope. Using picture as a guide, position ropes across snake's body, trim ends.
- 8Using picture as a guide, position marshmallows, cut-side up, for eyes; top each with a yellow Smartie. Position remaining Smarties across snake's body to represent bands.
- 9Cut a small triangle from one end of licorice, position for snake's tongue.
White icing is also known as fondant (it’s the traditional icing used on wedding cakes). It is available in packets from the supermarket and cake decorating shops.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious pasta salad recipes to look forward toOct 14, 2021
- Quiche LorraineOct 13, 2021
- Mixed berry crumbleOct 13, 2021
- Seafood chowderOct 13, 2021
- Orange cake recipe collectionOct 13, 2021
- Kumara pancakes with maple yoghurtOct 13, 2021
- 34 fabulous friand recipesOct 13, 2021
- 25 ravioli recipesOct 13, 2021
- Creamy chicken kormaOct 13, 2021
- Kumara and coconut tarts with pecan toffeeOct 13, 2021
- 32 brilliant blueberry dessertsOct 12, 2021
- Beetroot, blackberry yoghurt popsiclesOct 12, 2021
- Spicy fruit mince pillowsOct 12, 2021