Simple butter cake
- 250 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- pinch salt
Butter cream icing
- 100 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup (200g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Simple butter cake
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180C° (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line base of a 20cm round cake pan.
- 2Beat butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
- 3On a low speed, add beaten egg, a little at a time, alternating with a spoonful of flour. Gradually add milk, then remaining flour and salt.
- 4Spread batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until cooked when tested (a skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean). Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 5Meanwhile, to make butter cream icing, beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sifted icing sugar and enough lemon juice until smooth and spreadable.
- 6Spread cake with butter cream icing and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020