Sichuan ma po tofu
- 2 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns, toasted, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chinese cooking wine (shaoxing)
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 3 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 300 gram minced pork
- 2 tablespoon chilli bean paste
- 300 gram fresh silken tofu, drained, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1/4 cup (35g) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
Sichuan ma po tofu
- 1Stir peppercorns in a wok over medium heat for 1 minute or until fragrant. Crush peppercorns lightly with a mortar and pestle.
- 2Whisk cornflour, cooking wine, stock, sauce, sugar and the water in a medium jug until combined.
- 3Heat sesame oil in a wok over high heat; add garlic and pork; stir-fry for 8 minutes or until pork is browned. Stir in bean paste and half the peppercorns; stir-fry mixture for a further minute.
- 4Stir cornflour mixture into pork mixture in wok; cook until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes. Carefully add tofu and stir gently to combine. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 5Divide ma po tofu among bowls; top with peanuts, onion and remaining crushed peppercorns. Serve with steamed rice, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 25 pasta recipesToday 2:08am
- Slow-cooker butter chickenYesterday 5:00pm
- Chocolate crackle sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 18 vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Butter chicken puff pastry hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy recipes to bake with your little onesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lemonade sconesYesterday 2:00pm
- Caprese saladJul 01, 2022
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertJul 01, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022