- 1.6 kilogram (3¼-pound) whole chicken
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 centimetre (¾-inch) piece fresh ginger (10g), grated
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoon sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 fresh small red thai (serrano) chilli, chopped finely
- 1Wash chicken under cold water; pat dry inside and out with absorbent paper.
- 2Combine garlic, ginger, sauce, sherry, pepper and oil in a large bowl; add chicken, coat in marinade. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F.
- 4Place chicken on an oiled wire rack in a large baking dish. Half-fill baking dish with water (it should not touch the chicken). Roast, uncovered, about 1 hour 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 5Meanwhile, make shantung sauce. Stir sugar and the water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar and chilli.
- 6Remove chicken from oven; when cool enough to handle chop meat coarsely; discard bones. Serve drizzled with shantung sauce.
Sichuan peppercorns are a mildly hot spice native to the Sichuan province of China. While not related to the peppercorn family, the small, red-brown aromatic sichuan berries look like black peppercorns and have a distinctive peppery-lemon flavour and aroma.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm