- 1 small brown onion (80g)
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 fresh long red chilli
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (900g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 loaf turkish bread (200g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 60 gram persian feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Thinly slice chilli. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- 2Heat oil in 24cm (9½-inch) ovenproof medium frying pan. Cook onion and chilli over low heat, stirring, until soft. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomato; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; simmer about 10 minutes or until sauce is thick. Season to taste.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C.
- 4Make four indents in the hot tomato mixture with the back of a spoon. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide the egg into an indent. Repeat with remaining eggs. Transfer pan to the oven; bake about 12 minutes or until egg whites are set.
- 5Meanwhile, place bread on oven tray. Brush with a little of the extra oil. Bake bread with the eggs for about 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle egg mixture with crumbled cheese, sumac and parsley; serve with sliced bread. Drizzle eggs with remaining oil.
You need a medium ovenproof frying pan. Check that the pan fits into the oven before you start. The tomato mixture can be made a day ahead; reheat before adding the eggs. If you don't have an ovenproof frying pan, you can use a small baking dish instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 10 sweet festive favouritesToday 4:00am
- How to make honeycomb from scratchToday 12:29am
- Apple pieToday 12:29am
- TiramisuYesterday 10:00pm
- Fresh apricot jamYesterday 8:00pm
- PikeletsYesterday 5:00pm
- Vegetarian pasta recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef stroganoffYesterday 1:00pm
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealYesterday 1:00pm
- Green saladYesterday 1:00pm
- 10 brilliant blinis to share with friendsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sticky date puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Panettone tiramisuYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato bakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast recipes for Christmas morningYesterday 1:00pm