- 1 small brown onion (80g)
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 fresh long red chilli
- 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes (900g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 loaf turkish bread (200g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 60 gram persian feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sumac
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Thinly slice chilli. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- 2Heat oil in 24cm (9½-inch) ovenproof medium frying pan. Cook onion and chilli over low heat, stirring, until soft. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomato; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; simmer about 10 minutes or until sauce is thick. Season to taste.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C.
- 4Make four indents in the hot tomato mixture with the back of a spoon. Break 1 egg into a cup, then slide the egg into an indent. Repeat with remaining eggs. Transfer pan to the oven; bake about 12 minutes or until egg whites are set.
- 5Meanwhile, place bread on oven tray. Brush with a little of the extra oil. Bake bread with the eggs for about 5 minutes.
- 6Sprinkle egg mixture with crumbled cheese, sumac and parsley; serve with sliced bread. Drizzle eggs with remaining oil.
You need a medium ovenproof frying pan. Check that the pan fits into the oven before you start. The tomato mixture can be made a day ahead; reheat before adding the eggs. If you don't have an ovenproof frying pan, you can use a small baking dish instead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Tom yum fried rice with prawnsSep 16, 2019
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotSep 16, 2019
- Creamy chicken and pasta saladSep 16, 2019
- Vegetarian lasagne recipesSep 11, 2019
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeSep 11, 2019
- Jerk fish & slaw salad cupsSep 10, 2019
- Mixed berry and ricotta tartSep 10, 2019
- Chicken, burghul & pomegranate saladSep 09, 2019
- Fudgy choc-cherry biscuitsSep 06, 2019
- Flourless chocolate hazelnut cakeSep 06, 2019
- Potato bakeSep 06, 2019
- Spinach dip cob loafSep 06, 2019
- Quiche LorraineSep 05, 2019