- 7 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup packaged dried breadcrumbs
- 6 thick tomato and herb flavoured beef sausages
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- mixed green salad, to serve
Sweet chilli and herb mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1Place 6 eggs in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over moderate heat, stirring gently (this helps centre the yolks).
- 2Boil without stirring for 10 minutes; drain. Cool slightly; peel. Place flour on a plate. Whisk remaining egg in a shallow bowl, then place breadcrumbs on a plate.
- 3For each scotch egg, coat egg lightly in flour. Remove sausage meat from casing, then press gently into a thin oval shape. Place egg in centre of mince, then mould mince around egg to enclose.
- 4Dip in whisked egg. then breadcrumbs to coat. Place on a large plate. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill for 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, make sweet chilli and herb mayonnaise by combining all ingredients with 1 1/2 tablespoons warm water in a small bowl.
- 6Heat oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan over moderate heat (oil is ready when a cube of bread crisps quickly without absorbing oil).
- 7Deep-fry eggs, in batches, for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Drain on paper towels. Cut eggs in half. Serve at once with mayonnaise and salad.
Use 500g sausage mince instead of sausages. To make it easier to mould mince around eggs, moisten hands with cold water- this prevents sticking.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019