- 2.25 litre (9 cups) water
- 1 kilogram lamb neck chops
- 3/4 cup (150g) pearl barley
- 1 large (200g) brown onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium (240g) carrots, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium (350g) leek, sliced thinly
- 2 cup (160g) finely shredded savoy cabbage
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Combine the water, lamb and barley in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1 hour, skimming fat from surface occasionally. Add onion, carrot and leek; simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, or until carrot is tender.
- 2Remove lamb from pan. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard bones; shred lamb meat coarsely.
- 3Return lamb to soup with cabbage and peas; cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until peas are tender.
- 4Serve soup sprinkled with parsley.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Slow-cooker mushroom risottoYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Baked caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm