- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 150 gram chilled butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (300g) brown onions, chopped finely
- 1 small (70g) carrot, grated
- 1 medium (250g) parsnip, peeled, grated
- 500 gram minced beef
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cup (160g) finely shredded wombok (chinese cabbage)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1Make pastry: Combine flours, baking powder, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse, until the mixture is crumbly. Add the egg and process until ingredients barely cling together.
- 2Knead pastry very lightly and divide into two flattened discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes while preparing filling.
- 3Meanwhile, make mince: Add the oil and onion, carrot, parsnip to a large frying pan, cook over high heat, stirring until softened and lightly golden. Add the beef and cook, stirring until browned.
- 4Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, soy sauce, cabbage and the white pepper and cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat to cool completely.
- 5Preheat oven 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease an 18 x 26cm slice pan.
- 6Roll out each pastry disc to form a rough 18 x 26cm rectangle. Press one pastry rectangle into the prepared tray. Spread the cold savoury mince mixture into the pan. Cover with the second piece of pastry. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes.
- 7Serve cut into large squares.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021