- 400 gram sausage mince
- 2 tablespoon store-bought breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) tomato sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 2 puff pastry, defrosted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pizza sauce (or tomato paste)
- 1/4 cup ham or mild salami, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red or green capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cheddar or mozzarella, grated
- 1For sausage rolls, preheat oven to 180°C.
- 2Place the mince, breadcrumbs and sauces in a large bowl. Break the egg into a cup and beat with a fork then pour half of it in with the mince (you"ll use the remaining egg to brush over the pastry). Stir well to combine.
- 3Divide the mixture into 4 portions then form into logs, the same length as the pastry sheets.
- 4Cut each sheet of pastry into 2 rectangles. Place 1 log of sausage filling along the edge of one of the pieces of pastry then roll to form a long pastry-covered sausage. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- 5Use a sharp knife to cut each log into 6 sausage rolls then place them on a tray lined with baking paper with pastry seam facing down. Brush the top of each sausage roll with beaten egg. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- 6For pizza spirals, preheat oven to 180°C.
- 7Use a knife to mark a 1 1/2cm border down one edge of each sheet of pastry, making sure not to cut through the pastry.
- 8Spread the pizza sauce over the pastry, making sure not to spread it over the border. If using tomato paste, you may like to add some chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, etc) or a small amount of dried herbs to add some pizza flavour.
- 9Combine the ham/salami, mushroom and capsicum in a small bowl and scatter the mix over the pizza sauce, then top with grated cheese.
- 10Roll the pastry into a log, starting at the side that is opposite the border. Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2cm off each end and discard. Slice the log into rounds, about 1-1 1/2cm thick. Place the spirals in trays lined with baking paper, allowing a little room for the pastry to puff up, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 24 sausage rolls and 30 pizza spirals. Flash freeze the sausage rolls on a tray lined with baking paper then transfer to a freezer bag or plastic container. Defrost in the fridge, or you could cook these from frozen. For defrosted, bake in 180°C for 30 minutes. For frozen, bake in 180°C for 45-50 minutes. Cook pizza spirals from frozen.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021