- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
VARIATION For macadamia salted caramels, add 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt. Pour into a greased 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Cool. Break caramel into pieces.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Mushroom filled beef fillet with port sauceDec 05, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- Turkey with apricot & hazelnut stuffingDec 05, 2019
- Coffee wreath (with chocolate sauce)Dec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019
- Barbecued corn, spinach and avocado saladDec 05, 2019
- Roast beetroot and goat’s cheese terrineDec 05, 2019
- Nutella cheesecakeDec 05, 2019
- White Christmas sliceDec 05, 2019
- Dark plum jamDec 04, 2019
- Oysters with pink & green mignonette dressingsDec 04, 2019
- Ice-cream Christmas pudding logDec 04, 2019
- Herb-brined turkey breast in pancettaDec 04, 2019
- Coconut banana stacked cakeDec 03, 2019
- 2-in-1 basic fruit mixDec 02, 2019