- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
VARIATION For macadamia salted caramels, add 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt. Pour into a greased 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Cool. Break caramel into pieces.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020