- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
VARIATION For macadamia salted caramels, add 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt. Pour into a greased 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Cool. Break caramel into pieces.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeToday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019