- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
VARIATION For macadamia salted caramels, add 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt. Pour into a greased 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Cool. Break caramel into pieces.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsApr 18, 2019
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019