- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
Macadamia salted caramels
- 4Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Make Salted Caramels adding 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt once the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Pour in pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool. Using your hands break the caramels into pieces.
Earl grey caramels
- 5Infuse 2 earl grey tea bags in ¾ cup boiling water; remove bags, pressing with a spoon to release all liquid. Make Salted Caramels (recipe left), omitting the salt and adding the tea to sugar, cream and glucose syrup in pan. Continue as directed in the recipe.
- 6Make Salted Caramels, omitting the salt and adding 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, a pinch of ground cloves, 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste and 2 tablespoons white rum to the pan with the sugar. Continue as directed in the recipe.
Almond & chocolate caramels
- 7Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Make Salted Caramels adding 1½ cups roasted natural almonds and 75g finely chopped dark (semi-sweet) chocolate with salt once mixture reaches 110°C on a cooking thermometer; stir until mix reaches 120°C. Pour in pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool. Cut into triangles.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021