- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup (90g) glucose syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes
- 1Grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over sides.
- 2Stir sugar, cream and glucose syrup in a medium saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, until the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Or drop a teaspoon of syrup into a glass of ice-cold water; gather it up with your fingers. It should roll into a firm ball when it's ready. Sprinkle in half the salt, do not stir. Pour caramel into pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool.
- 3Use a warm, oiled, sharp knife to cut caramel into squares. Wrap in waxed paper or serve in little paper cases.
Macadamia salted caramels
- 4Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Make Salted Caramels adding 1½ cups (225g) unsalted roasted macadamias with the salt once the mixture reaches 120°C on a cooking thermometer. Pour in pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool. Using your hands break the caramels into pieces.
Earl grey caramels
- 5Infuse 2 earl grey tea bags in ¾ cup boiling water; remove bags, pressing with a spoon to release all liquid. Make Salted Caramels (recipe left), omitting the salt and adding the tea to sugar, cream and glucose syrup in pan. Continue as directed in the recipe.
- 6Make Salted Caramels, omitting the salt and adding 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, a pinch of ground cloves, 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste and 2 tablespoons white rum to the pan with the sugar. Continue as directed in the recipe.
Almond & chocolate caramels
- 7Grease an 18cm x 28cm slice pan. Make Salted Caramels adding 1½ cups roasted natural almonds and 75g finely chopped dark (semi-sweet) chocolate with salt once mixture reaches 110°C on a cooking thermometer; stir until mix reaches 120°C. Pour in pan; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cool. Cut into triangles.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021
- Butterfly cakesMay 04, 2021
- Bolognese pasta bakeMay 04, 2021
- Zucchini and sweet potato loafMay 04, 2021
- 33 of our slow-cooked favouritesMay 04, 2021
- Cheesy risotto ballsMay 04, 2021
- Mixed bean chilliMay 04, 2021
- Amazing Mother's Day lunch recipes for your mumMay 04, 2021
- 20 edible gift ideas for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Prawn chu chee curryMay 04, 2021
- 25 delicious chicken breast recipesMay 04, 2021
- Spanish seafood stew with aioliMay 04, 2021