Lemon and rosemary salt cure
- 1 cup (125g) salt flakes
- 1 cup (220g) raw sugar
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vermouth or vodka
Beef and bread bases
- 500 gram piece beef eye fillet
- 36 thin slices sourdough bread stick
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 1/3 cup (15g) mustard cress
Salt, lemon and rosemary-cured beef
- 1Make lemon and rosemary salt cure. Using mortar and pestle, pound ¼ cup of the salt, ¼ cup of the sugar, and the rosemary, rind and pepper to a fine powder. Transfer to medium bowl, stir in vermouth and remaining salt and sugar.
- 2Place two sheets of plastic wrap, long enough to enclose beef, overlapping by half on bench; spread with half the salt cure. Place beef on top, cover beef with remaining salt cure; wrap beef tightly in plastic, place on large deep tray.
- 3Top with smaller tray or board; weigh down with bricks or food cans. Refrigerate 12 hours. Remove weights, turn beef over; replace tray and weights, refrigerate a further 12 hours.
- 4Preheat grill. Place bread slices on oven trays; brush with oil, toast each side lightly.
- 5Unwrap beef, wipe salt cure away; thinly slice beef. Spread sour cream over toast, top with beef, sprinkle with cress.
You need the freshest, best quality beef for this recipe. Use a vegetable peeler to remove strips of rind from the lemon before chopping.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021