- 150 gram dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 150 gram butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 1 cup (320g) apricot jam, warmed, strained
- 125 gram dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a deep 22cm (8-inch) round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- 2Melt chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (do not allow water to touch base of bowl); stir in the water; cool mixture to room temperature.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in chocolate mixture, then sifted flour.
- 4Beat egg whites in a small bowl until soft peaks form, gradually beat in extra sugar, beating until dissolved between each addition; fold into chocolate mixture.
- 5Spread mixture into pan. Bake about 30 minutes. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool; leave cake upside-down
- 6Meanwhile, make chocolate icing: Melt chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (do not allow water to touch base of bowl). Cool at room temperature until spreadable, stirring occasionally; this can take up to 2 hours.
- 7Split cold cake in half; place one half, cut-side up, on serving plate. Brush half the warmed jam over cake half, top with remaining cake half. Brush cake all over with remaining jam. Stand about 1 hour at room temperature or until jam has set. Spread top and side of cake with icing; stand at room temperature until icing has set.
This icing recipe is also suitable for piping. Cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 29 fabulous fetta recipesJun 24, 2022
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022