Rustic apple pie
- 4 (600g) green apples
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar, plus 1/4 cup extra
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 125 gram cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 tablespoon iced water
- 2 tablespoon milk
Rustic apple pie
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 2Peel and core apples; cut into eighths. Place the apple in a medium saucepan with sugar, rind, 1 tablespoon of the juice and the water. Bring to boil and simmer over a low heat for about 10-12 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove the apple with a slotted spoon; drain on absorbent paper. Simmer the syrup, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until reduced to 200ml. Remove from heat.
- 3Process flour, 1 tablespoon of the extra sugar and butter until crumbly. Add enough water to process until ingredients come together. Press dough into a ball, enclose in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Roll the dough between two large sheets of baking paper into a 35cm round. Remove the top layer of paper; carefully lift dough onto a large oven tray.
- 5Pile the apples into the centre of the dough, leaving a 7cm border. Fold pastry edge up and around the apple. Brush the milk over the pastry and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- 6Spoon some of the syrup over the pie. Serve with cream or custard, if desired.
If you would like to give the pie some colour add a scatter of frozen raspberries or blueberries to the apples before wrapping in the pastry.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Dark chocolate croissant puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- 24 sweet ways with bread and butter puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- Tasty tagine recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersYesterday 2:00pm
- Jam roll puddingYesterday 2:00pm
- South-East Asian dinner recipesMay 31, 2020
- 14 sweet & savoury buttermilk recipesMay 31, 2020
- What food is in season in June?May 31, 2020
- Peach galetteMay 31, 2020
- Custard tartMay 31, 2020
- Pineapple upside-down cakeMay 31, 2020
- Ultimate slow cooker ideas for winterMay 31, 2020
- 27 brilliant ways to use barley in your recipesMay 31, 2020
- Banana cake recipesMay 31, 2020
- Impossible pieMay 31, 2020