Rustic apple pie
- 4 (600g) medium red-skinned apples
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cup (750ml) water
- 2 cup (300g) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 125 gram cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup iced water
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon flaked natural almonds
Rustic apple pie
- 1Peel and core apples; cut into sixths. Place apple in a medium saucepan with caster sugar, rind, juice and the water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer apple to a medium bowl. Simmer syrup, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until reduced to ¾ cup. Cool.
- 2Meanwhile, process flour, extra sugar and butter until crumbly. Add enough of the iced water to process until ingredients come together. Press dough into a ball, enclose in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C.
- 4Roll dough between two large sheets of baking paper into a 35cm round. Remove top layer of paper; carefully slide dough on paper onto a large oven tray.
- 5Pile apple into the centre of the dough, leaving a 7cm border. Fold pastry edge up and around apple. Brush milk over pastry; sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- 6Bake pie for 40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Just before serving, spoon some of the syrup over the pie; sprinkle with almonds.
If you would like to give the pie some colour add a scatter of frozen raspberries or blueberries to the apples before wrapping in the pastry.The pie can be made 6 hours ahead. Reheat 20 minutes before serving.Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spaghetti bologneseYesterday 1:00pm
- Indian rice saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chunky fig and vanilla jamYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy food bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- CevicheYesterday 1:00pm
- Grilled mushrooms with soft-boiled dukkah eggs and crisp kaleYesterday 1:00pm
- Pancake recipesJan 22, 2021