Chocolate and rose cake
- 1/2 cup (50g) Dutch-processed cocoa
- 175 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 200 grams dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped coarsely
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 2 cups (200g) hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
- Crystallised rose petals, to decorate, optional
Vanilla rose cream
- 300 mililitres thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- Pink food colouring
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 22cm round springform pan; line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Place cocoa, butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water (do not allow base of bowl to touch water); stir until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from pan; cool for 15 minutes.
- 3Beat eggs, sugar and rosewater in a small bowl with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add egg mixture to chocolate mixture; stir until just combined. Fold in hazelnut meal. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- 4Bake cake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan.
Vanilla Rose Cream
- 5Beat cream, sugar, vanilla and rosewater in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add a few drops of food colouring; fold gently through to swirl.
- 6Serve cake topped with vanilla rose cream and crystallised rose petals.
Cake suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. Crystallised rose petals and rosewater are available from some delicatessens and gourmet food stores.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Miso eggplant and noodle saladYesterday 10:00pm
- New York cheesecakeYesterday 5:00pm
- Verjuice chicken and leek stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Chunky minestrone with haloumiYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken paprikashYesterday 2:00pm
- Beef and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- 16 tasty ways with risoni pastaYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy gravyYesterday 2:00pm
- Easy chicken pasta recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Arancini with tomato and balsamic sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- 23 sweet and savoury hand piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Coconut beef curryYesterday 2:00pm