- 150 gram frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon rosewater
- 3/4 cup (180ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 125 gram fresh raspberries, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a large oven tray; line with baking paper.
- 2Process raspberries, 2 tablespoons of the icing sugar and the water until smooth. Push raspberry puree through a fine sieve over a small bowl; discard seeds.
- 3Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until glossy and stiff. Beat in vinegar and rosewater on low speed until just combined (overbeating at this stage will cause the meringue to deflate).
- 4Drop large serving-spoon-sized amounts of meringue mixture (about ⅓ cup) onto the tray, 5cm apart. Using a pastry brush, brush a little of the raspberry puree on the meringues, swirling gently to create a brush stroke effect.
- 5Reduce oven to 120°C; bake meringues for 45 minutes or until dry to touch. Cool in oven with door ajar.
- 6Meanwhile, place remaining raspberry puree in a small saucepan with the remaining icing sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Cool.
- 7Beat cream in a small bowl with the electric mixer. Serve meringues with cream, drizzled with raspberry sauce, and extra fresh raspberries.
Keep sheets of paper towel within easy reach when brushing the raspberry puree onto the meringues; wipe the brush between each stroke to keep the bristles clean. Meringues can be made a day ahead; store them in an airtight container at room temperature. The electric mixer does the work to create the silky meringue mixture. These meringues are dolloped onto the tray for a rustic look so there’s no need for precise piping!
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021