The best part? They're soaked in a rosewater syrup for added sweetness.
- 2 teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 3 large lemons (600g)
- ½ cup (125ml) rosewater
- 80 grams butter, softened
- 2¼ cups (495g) caster sugar
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1Place 1¼ cups lukewarm water in a jug; whisk in yeast and egg yolks. Place flour, chopped butter and yeast mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat for 4 minutes or until mixture is smooth and elastic. Cover bowl; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- 2Meanwhile, place 1 cup (250ml) water and 2 cups sugar in a small saucepan; stir over low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; cook for 5 minutes, without stirring, or until syrup thickens slightly.
- 3Remove rind from 2 lemons with a zesting tool. Juice both lemons; you will need ½ cup juice. Add rosewater, lemon rind and juice to syrup. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm. Finely grate rind from remaining lemon; reserve.
- 4Place a wire rack on an oven tray. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat to 160°C/325°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds). Deep-fry heaped tablespoons of dough,
in batches, until browned lightly and cooked through. Drain on
a wire rack.
- 5Pour warm syrup over hot doughnuts; sprinkle with reserved rind. Serve immediately.
tip As you fry, you may need to adjust the temperature to keep the
oil at an even heat.
Serve with fresh fruit, such as sliced mango, orange or strawberries.You can use orange blossom water instead of rosewater, if you prefer.Leftover syrup makes a refreshing cordial mixture, or freeze the syrup and make a granita or sorbet.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021