The best part? They're soaked in a rosewater syrup for added sweetness.
- 2 teaspoons (7g) dried yeast
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups (450g) plain flour
- 3 large lemons (600g)
- ½ cup (125ml) rosewater
- 80 grams butter, softened
- 2¼ cups (495g) caster sugar
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1Place 1¼ cups lukewarm water in a jug; whisk in yeast and egg yolks. Place flour, chopped butter and yeast mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat for 4 minutes or until mixture is smooth and elastic. Cover bowl; stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- 2Meanwhile, place 1 cup (250ml) water and 2 cups sugar in a small saucepan; stir over low heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; cook for 5 minutes, without stirring, or until syrup thickens slightly.
- 3Remove rind from 2 lemons with a zesting tool. Juice both lemons; you will need ½ cup juice. Add rosewater, lemon rind and juice to syrup. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm. Finely grate rind from remaining lemon; reserve.
- 4Place a wire rack on an oven tray. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with oil; heat to 160°C/325°F (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds). Deep-fry heaped tablespoons of dough,
in batches, until browned lightly and cooked through. Drain on
a wire rack.
- 5Pour warm syrup over hot doughnuts; sprinkle with reserved rind. Serve immediately.
tip As you fry, you may need to adjust the temperature to keep the
oil at an even heat.
Serve with fresh fruit, such as sliced mango, orange or strawberries.You can use orange blossom water instead of rosewater, if you prefer.Leftover syrup makes a refreshing cordial mixture, or freeze the syrup and make a granita or sorbet.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamSep 24, 2020
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020