Roasted pumpkin risotto
- 1 kilogram kent pumpkin, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) chicken stock
- 50 gram butter
- 2 medium (300g) brown onions, chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 cup (400g) arborio rice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- extra virgin olive oil, parmesan, to serve
Roasted pumpkin risotto
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Combine pumpkin and 2 tablespoons of the oil on the prepared tray; season with sea salt. Roast pumpkin for 25 minutes or until tender and browned lightly. Sprinkle with chilli. Reserve one-third of the pumpkin; cover to keep warm. Divide remaining pumpkin in half; mash one half in a small bowl.
- 3Meanwhile, bring stock to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan.
- 4Melt butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat; cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and rice; stir to coat well. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine; simmer until liquid has evaporated.
- 5Add ½ cup stock to rice mixture; cook, stirring, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until half the stock has been added. Stir in both mashed and un-mashed pumpkin, then continue adding stock, ½ a cup at a time, stirring after each addition, until all the liquid has been absorbed - this will take a total of about 20 minutes.
- 6Remove risotto from the heat; stir in parmesan. Season to taste.
- 7Serve risotto topped with reserved pumpkin, parsley and a drizzle of extra oil and parmesan.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Prawn and vegetable Okonomiyaki - Japanese pancakeYesterday 12:58am
- Cauliflower recipesMay 06, 2021
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesMay 06, 2021
- What food is in season in May?May 06, 2021
- Baked cauliflowerMay 06, 2021
- Thai beef saladMay 06, 2021
- Perfect panna cotta recipesMay 06, 2021
- Sensational sweet tartsMay 06, 2021
- Apple turnoversMay 06, 2021
- Lemon meringue pieMay 06, 2021
- Fruit mince sliceMay 06, 2021
- Tasty treats for Mother's Day morning teaMay 05, 2021
- Delicious breakfast recipes for Mother's DayMay 04, 2021
- Pizza dough and basic tomato sauceMay 04, 2021
- Star anise, soy and beer-braised beef shinMay 04, 2021