- 2 2 small pineapples (1.8kg) (see tips)
- 6 whole star anise (see tips)
- 1 cup (250ml) dark rum
- 2 medium limes (180g)
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- 150 grams caster sugar
- 100 grams unsalted butter
- 1Grease and line a large oven tray.
2 Peel and trim pineapples; reserve half the trimmings. Halve pineapples lengthways; cut each half into four wedges. Cut out the core from each piece; reserve core pieces. Thread pineapple pieces onto metal skewers. Pat pineapple dry with paper towel.
3 Preheat a chargrill plate or barbecue on high; cook pineapple skewers for 1 minute each side or until grill marks appear. Transfer pineapple to lined tray.
4 Crush star anise using a mortar and pestle (or use the base of a clean saucepan). Place in a medium heavy-based saucepan with sugar, reserved pineapple cores and trimmings, and ¼ cup (60ml) water; cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium; cook, without stirring, for 15 minutes or until a golden brown caramel forms, swirling the pan to colour evenly.
5 Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
6 Taking care, as the mixture will splutter, add ¾ cup of the rum to the caramel. Increase heat to high; boil for 2 minutes or until syrupy. Add butter and 1 cup (250ml) water; boil for 10 minutes until thick. Add remaining rum; cook for a further 2 minutes. Strain into
a heatproof jug; discard solids.
7 Brush pineapple with rum syrup. Roast pineapple in oven, basting every 10 minutes with the syrup, for 45 minutes or until tender and caramelised. Cool slightly. Cut limes into cheeks or wedges.
8 Serve pineapple skewers drizzled with roasting juices and any remaining syrup; top with mint leaves and lime cheeks.
It's best to buy pineapples with the tops attached. Whole star anise are available from most supermarkets and greengrocers; if you can't find them, use cinnamon instead.
make it six Serve with vanilla or butterscotch ice-cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022