The three magic ingredients for crispy savoury crackling are oil, salt and heat. Make sure the rind is dry and rubbed well with oil and salt. The pork must be placed in a very hot oven for the skin to start bubbling and browning up.
Roast leg of pork
- 2 1/2 kilogram boneless pork leg roast, rind on
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- 6 medium (1.2kg) potatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, extra
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 3 large (600g) green apples
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
Roast leg of pork with apple sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 240°C (220°C fan-forced).
- 2Score pork rind with sharp knife. Tie pork at 5cm intervals with kitchen string. Place in large shallow baking dish. Rub with oil, then salt. Roast, uncovered, 20 minutes or until skin is bubbled and blistered.
- 3Reduce oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Roast pork, uncovered, a further two hours.
- 4Meanwhile, combine potato with extra oil and herbs. Place in single layer on oven tray. Roast, uncovered, about 35 minutes.
- 5For apple sauce, peel and core apples and slice thickly. Place apples and water in medium saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes, or until apple is soft. Remove pan from heat and stir in sugar and cinnamon.
- 6Stand pork, loosely coverered with foil, for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve pork and potatoes with apple sauce.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperToday 12:41am
- Protein and bliss ballsYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free dessertsMar 27, 2020
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 26, 2020
- The best Italian recipesMar 26, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 26, 2020
- RatatouilleMar 26, 2020
- Quince pasteMar 26, 2020
- Classic recipe for chocolate mousseMar 25, 2020
- Osso buccoMar 25, 2020
- Apple crumbleMar 25, 2020
- Ginger sticky date puddingMar 25, 2020
- Delicious recipes to try in your Air FryerMar 25, 2020
- Easy baking recipesMar 25, 2020
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesMar 25, 2020