- 1 lemon (140g)
- 3 cup (375g) fresh shelled broad beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 kilogram chicken pieces, bone-in, skin-on
- 4 green onions, cut into 4cm lengths
- 4 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 2Using a vegetable peeler, peel four 7cm strips of rind from the lemon. Squeeze juice from the lemon; you will need 2 tablespoons juice.
- 3Cook broad beans in a saucepan of boiling water 2 minutes; drain. Refresh under cold running water; drain. Peel away skins then discard.
- 4Heat oil in a large casserole dish over high heat; cook chicken pieces, in two batches, for 3 minutes each side or until browned. Remove from dish; drain excess fat from dish.
- 5Add onion, garlic, thyme and rind strips to same dish; cook for 2 minutes. Return chicken and any juices to the dish with stock; bring to the boil.
- 6Transfer to the oven; cook, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in broad beans; cook for a further 5 minutes or until heated through.
- 7Serve chicken drizzled with lemon juice, topped with mint and capers.
You will need to buy about 1.7kg fresh broad beans in the pod to yield 3 cups, or you can use frozen broad beans. You can cook baby potatoes with the chicken. If you prefer, you can use a 1.5kg whole chicken chopped into pieces. The low-fat dieting era popularised chicken fillets, because the dark chicken meat near the bone has more fat. However, chicken cooked on the bone is tastier and the dark meat contains more nutrients, particularly iron and zinc. To enjoy every cut of the chicken, guilt-free, ditch the extra kilojoules in your diet by eliminating snack foods.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Savoury mince pieYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesYesterday 5:10am
- Traditional minestroneJul 13, 2020
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceJul 13, 2020
- 18 beautiful baked salmon recipesJul 13, 2020
- 19 homemade muesli bars and snack barsJul 13, 2020
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotJul 13, 2020
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesJul 13, 2020
- Fennel recipesJul 13, 2020
- Tuna mornayJul 13, 2020
- Creative cabbage recipesJul 12, 2020
- Healthy recipes with mince for dinnerJul 12, 2020
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerJul 12, 2020
- Homemade muesli barsJul 12, 2020
- Fabulous frittata recipesJul 12, 2020