Roasting beetroot in their skins gives it a beautiful rich, earthy flavour. Combined with the flavour of toasted walnuts, it creates a delicious vegetarian Christmas dish.
- 5 medium (750g) beetroots
- 1 small bulb garlic
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts
- 550 g jar marinated goat's cheese
- 1 bunch chives, chopped finely
- Chervil, baby salad leaves and lemon-infused olive oil, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Remove the leaves and trim the roots from the beetroot. Trim the top off the garlic bulb. Place beetroot and garlic on an oven tray; sprinkle with oil. Roast for 30 minutes, then remove the garlic; it should be soft. Roast the beetroot for a further 30 minutes, or until a skewer goes easily through them. In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the walnuts to the tray. Remove the tray from the oven and allow everything to cool.
- 2Peel the beetroot – the skin should come off quite easily. Slice into 2mm rounds. Squeeze the flesh from the garlic cloves and add to a bowl with the cheese, marinating oil and chives. Mash with a fork until everything is combined.
- 3Line a 10cm x 18cm loaf pan with baking paper, leaving a generous overhang. Place a layer of beetroot slices over base. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the top. Repeat twice more and finish with a final layer of beetroot. Fold the baking paper over the pan; refrigerate overnight.
- 4Turn terrine out of pan. Top with chervil and walnuts; serve with salad leaves and lemon oil. Slice carefully.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
Julie's tip: The terrine is best made a day ahead; keep refrigerated.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateYesterday 1:00pm
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoYesterday 1:00pm
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020