- 600 grams chicken breast fillets, cut lengthways into 4 strips
- 375 grams risoni
- lemon cheeks, to serve
- 1 1 small lemon
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 bunch fresh chives cut into 4cm lengths
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ½ cup (90g) drained cornichons
- ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (45g) drained baby capers
- 1Make the salsa verde.
- 2Rinse mixing bowl, then fill with 4 cups (1kg) water; heat for 10 min/steam mode/speed 3 or until boiling. Place chicken on steaming tray and season; stack tray on top of steaming dish and cover. Add risoni to mixing bowl. Position steaming dish and tray over mixing bowl; cook for 10 min/steam mode/reverse/speed 2 or until chicken is cooked. Remove steaming dish and tray from mixing bowl. Check if risoni is cooked and, if necessary, cook a further 1–2 min/steam mode/reverse/speed 2, without measuring cup inserted into lid, or until al dente.
- 3Drain risoni and rinse under hot water to remove excess starch; transfer to a large bowl. Season to taste.
- 4Serve risoni topped with sliced chicken and salsa verde, and with lemon cheeks.
- 5Using a vegetable peeler, remove rind lemon, avoiding any white pith. Place rind in mixing bowl; chop for 10 sec/speed 8 or until finely chopped. Add herbs (1½in) lengths, 2 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, ½ cup (90g) drained cornichons and ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil to mixing bowl; chop for 4 sec/speed 6. Scrape down the side of bowl; chop a further 5 sec/speed 6. Repeat if a finer salsa is desired. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in ¼ cup (45g) drained baby capers. Season to taste. Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge.
Salsa verde is also a delicious accompaniment to grilled or roasted meat. Leftover salsa verde will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.Salsa Verde also goes with barbecued or roast lamb, chicken, prawns and fish. Drizzle over char-grilled vegetables, or use instead of mayonnaise in sandwiches.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021