Rich fruit cake
- 1/3 cup (55g) seeded prunes, halved
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) sultanas
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sweet sherry
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
- 125 gram butter,softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (80g) plum jam
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) glacé cherries
- 1 1/2 cup (210g) seeded dates, halved
- 1 cup (170g) mixed peel
- 2 cup (220g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
Rich fruit cake
- 1Combine prunes, sultanas and currants in large bowl, stir in sherry and brandy. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, stand in a cool, dark place overnight or up to a week, stirring every day.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Grease deep 22cm-round or deep 19cm-square cake pan, line base and side(s) of pan with four thicknesses of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above sides(s).
- 3Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer only until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 4Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in the combined coffee and the water and jam, then the sifted dry ingredients in two batches. Drain prune mixture, reserve liquid. Stir prune mixture, cherries, dates, peel and nuts into cake mixture.
- 5Spread mixture into pan. Bake about 2 hours.
- 6Brush reserved prune liquid over hot cake, cover tightly with foil, cool cake in pan overnight.
Cake can be made up to three months ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsYesterday 2:00pm
- Mushroom soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022