Rich fruit cake
- 500 gram (1 pound) sultanas
- 250 gram (8 ounces) raisins, chopped
- 125 gram (4 ounces) currants
- 125 gram (4 ounces) glacé peaches, chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) orange juice
- 2 tablespoon marmalade
- 1/2 cup (125ml) rum
- 250 gram (8 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3/4 cup (120g) blanched whole almonds
- 1/4 cup (60ml) rum, extra
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon boiling water
Rich fruit cake
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Line a deep 20cm (8-inch) square cake pan with two layers of brown paper and two layers of baking paper, extending the papers 5cm (2 inches) over the sides.
- 2Combine all fruit, juice, marmalade and rum in a large bowl.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and rinds in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined.
- 4Stir butter mixture into fruit mixture, then stir in sifted flour and spice. Spread mixture into pan; decorate top with almonds.
- 5Bake cake 3 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Brush top of cake with extra rum. Cover hot cake, in pan, tightly with a clean tea towel; cool overnight.
- 6Before serving, stir honey and the water in a small bowl until smooth. Brush over top of cake.
- 7This fruit cake can be made up to 12 months ahead; store in an airtight container at room temperature. If the weather is humid, keep the container in the fridge or freezer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Thermomix Swedish meatballs with gravy and horseradish mashYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer puddingYesterday 1:00pm