Rich chocolate fudge
- 1 1/2 cup (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 60 gram (2 ounces) dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon glucose syrup
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 40 gram (1½ ounces) unsalted butter, chopped
Rich chocolate fudge
- 1Grease deep 15cm (6-inch) square cake pan; line base with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) over sides.
- 2Combine sugars, chocolate, syrup, cream and milk in small heavy-based saucepan; stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil; boil, uncovered, without stirring, about 10 minutes or until syrup reaches 116°C/240°F on candy thermometer.
- 3Remove pan from heat immediately, leave candy thermometer in the syrup; add butter, do not stir.
- 4Cool fudge about 20 minutes or until the temperature of the syrup drops to 40°C/104°F; remove candy thermometer.
- 5Stir fudge with wooden spoon about 10 minutes or until a small amount dropped from the spoon will hold its shape.
- 6Quickly spread fudge into pan; cover with foil. Stand at room temperature about 3 hours or until fudge sets.
- 7Lift fudge out of pan; cut into squares.
It is important to use a candy thermometer in this recipe (see page 247) to get the correct consistency when making the fudge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic Christmas trifleToday 6:13am
- 24 last-minute dinner recipes for entertainingToday 12:13am
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 10:00pm
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- How to make an easy gingerbread houseYesterday 8:00pm
- Meatloaf recipe - classicYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a towering pavlova Christmas treeYesterday 1:00pm
- Caesar saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 1:00pm
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue pieYesterday 1:00pm
- 13 Christmas cookies recipesNov 12, 2019
- Summer puddingNov 12, 2019
- 10 recipes for a modern Australian ChristmasNov 10, 2019