- 2 425g cans seeded black cherries in syrup
- 1 cup (150g) raisins, chopped coarsely
- 3/4 cup (120g) finely chopped seeded dried dates
- 1/2 cup (80g) sultanas
- 1/2 cup (95g) finely chopped seeded prunes
- 1 cup (200g) dried figs, chopped finely
- 1 cup (250ml) marsala
- 1 cup (120g) pecans
- 185 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (185g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 100 gram dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 200 gram dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) cream
- 1Drain cherries; reserve 1/3 cup (80ml) syrup. Quarter the cherries. Combine cherries with remaining fruit, 3/4 cup (180ml) of the marsala and reserved cherry syrup in a large bowl. Cover; stand overnight.
- 2Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line deep 22cm-round cake pan with two layers of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above edge.
- 3Process half the nuts until ground finely; chop the remaining nuts coarsely.
- 4Beat butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined; beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix butter mixture into the fruit mixture; stir in sifted dry ingredients, (chocolate, ground and chopped nuts).
- 5Spread mixture into pan; bake for 3 hours. Brush hot cake with the remaining marsala; cover with foil, cool in pan overnight
- 6To make ganache; stir chocolate and cream in a small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until spreadable.
- 7Spread the cake with ganache; top with chocolate decoration. Dust with sifted icing sugar to serve, if you like
Store un-iced cake in the fridge for up to three months. Once iced, the cake can be stored in the fridge for two weeks. Cut and bring to room temperature before serving. We painted a branch of real holly roughly with melted dark chocolate to make the inedible decoration on the cake.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Blueberry muffinsYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Char kway teowOct 27, 2020
- Mango recipes for dessertOct 27, 2020
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Roast pumpkin, feta and chickpea saladOct 27, 2020
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020
- EggnogOct 27, 2020