Rich black forest cake
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) hot water
- 200 gram dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cup (580ml) thickened (heavy) cream (see note)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cherry-flavoured liqueur
- 850 gram canned seeded black cherries, drained, halved
- maraschino cherries and chocolate curls to decorate, optional
Rich black forest cake
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan forced). Grease a deep 23cm (9-inch) round cake pan, line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan, stir in the combined coffee and hot water, then chocolate and sugar, stir, over low heat, without boiling, until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl of electric mixer, cool mixture until just warm.
- 3Beat mixture on low speed with electric mixer, gradually beat in sifted flours and cocoa in three batches. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then extract. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 1¾ hours. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat cream until firm peaks form. Trim top of cake to make it flat. Split cake into three even layers. Place one layer on serving plate, brush with 1 tablespoon of the liqueur, top with a layer of cream and half the cherries. Repeat layer. Brush top layer of cake with remaining liqueur, cover with remaining cream. Decorate with cherries and chocolate curls.
Use a full 600ml carton (tub) of cream instead of wasting the last 20ml.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021