Rich black forest cake
- 250 gram butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) hot water
- 200 gram dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2 cup (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/3 cup (580ml) thickened (heavy) cream (see note)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cherry-flavoured liqueur
- 850 gram canned seeded black cherries, drained, halved
- maraschino cherries and chocolate curls to decorate, optional
Rich black forest cake
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan forced). Grease a deep 23cm (9-inch) round cake pan, line base and side with baking paper.
- 2Melt butter in medium saucepan, stir in the combined coffee and hot water, then chocolate and sugar, stir, over low heat, without boiling, until smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl of electric mixer, cool mixture until just warm.
- 3Beat mixture on low speed with electric mixer, gradually beat in sifted flours and cocoa in three batches. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then extract. Pour mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 1¾ hours. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 5Beat cream until firm peaks form. Trim top of cake to make it flat. Split cake into three even layers. Place one layer on serving plate, brush with 1 tablespoon of the liqueur, top with a layer of cream and half the cherries. Repeat layer. Brush top layer of cake with remaining liqueur, cover with remaining cream. Decorate with cherries and chocolate curls.
Use a full 600ml carton (tub) of cream instead of wasting the last 20ml.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Chilli con carneYesterday 1:15am
- What's in season in January?Jan 20, 2020
- Chilli con capsicumJan 19, 2020
- Gai lan and mushroom five-spice stir-fryJan 19, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020