Rhubarb custard slice
- 2 (sheets) ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed
- 4 cup (440g) coarsely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) water
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup (30g) custard powder
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) milk
- 30 gram butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (180ml) pouring cream
- pink food colouring
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon orange juice, approximately
Rhubarb custard slice
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Grease deep 23cm square cake pan; line base and sides with foil, extending foil 10cm over sides.
- 2Place pastry sheets on separate greased oven trays. Bake about 15 minutes; cool. Flatten pastry with hand; place one pastry sheet in pan, trim to fit, if necessary.
- 3Meanwhile, combine rhubarb, sugar and the water in large saucepan; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until rhubarb mixture is pulpy. Cool.
- 4Combine extra sugar, cornflour and custard powder in medium saucepan; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Add butter; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring, about 5 minutes or until custard is thick and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in egg yolk, extract, cream and rhubarb. Tint custard with pink food colouring. Spread warm custard mixture over pastry in pan. Top with remaining pastry, puffed-side down, trim to fit if necessary; press down lightly.
- 5To make orange icing; sift icing sugar into small heatproof bowl; stir in enough of the juice to make a firm paste. Stir icing over small saucepan of simmering water until spreadable.
- 6Spread pastry with icing; refrigerate slice 3 hours or overnight.
You need about 1 large bunch of rhubarb.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 30 brilliant barramundi dishes to make for dinnerYesterday 2:00pm
- 35 vegetarian dishes featuring mushroomAug 12, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022