- 1 large stem of rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 cup (125g) custard powder
- 1 cup (150g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar, extra
Rhubarb custard melting moments
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C/300°F. Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Make rhubarb custard. Blend custard powder and sugar with milk in small saucepan; stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, stir in rhubarb. Cover surface of custard with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.
- 3Beat butter, extract and sifted icing sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in sifted custard powder and flour, in two batches.
- 4With floured hands, roll rounded teaspoons of mixture into balls. Place about 5cm apart on trays; flatten slightly with a floured fork.
- 5Bake biscuits about 15 minutes. Stand on trays 5 minutes, before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- 6Sandwich biscuits with a little rhubarb custard. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar.
- 7Make stewed rhubarb combine chopped rhubarb, sugar and water over a low heat until rhubarb is pulpy. Drain and cool before using.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlYesterday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsYesterday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesJul 05, 2020
- Silverside frittersJul 05, 2020
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyJul 05, 2020
- Perfect pumpkin recipesJul 05, 2020
- Pumpkin pieJul 05, 2020
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020