Red velvet cupcakes
- 90 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon pillar box red food colouring
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- sweets, sugar flowers, chopped candy
- canes and cachous, for decoration
Silky smooth frosting
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 230 gram butter, chopped, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
Red velvet cupcakes
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 15 holes of two 12-hole (1/3 cup/80ml) muffin pans with the paper cases.
- 2Beat the butter, extract and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add the egg and colouring; beat until combined. Reduce the speed to low; add the combined sifted flour and cocoa, then the buttermilk in two batches.
- 3Combine the vinegar and soda in a small bowl (the mixture will foam). Stir into the cake mixture.
- 4Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the mixture evenly into paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- 5Meanwhile, to make silky smooth frosting, place the egg whites and sugar in the small heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves and the egg whites are very warm to touch, about 70°C on a sweets thermometer. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes. With the motor operating, add the butter, a piece or two at a time. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat in extract or essence.
- 6Pipe silky smooth frosting on the cakes with a plain tube or, alternatively, spread liberally with a spatula. Top with decorations, as desired.
Un-iced cupcakes suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021