Red velvet cupcakes
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup (275g) caster sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- chocolate sprinkles and red sugar pearls, to decorate
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 250 g butter, softened
- 500 g icing sugar mixture, sifted
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line 2 x 12 hole muffin trays (1/3 cup/80ml) capacity with 22 paper cases.
- 2Sift flours, soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl, add sugar; stir to combine.
- 3Combine the buttermilk and food colouring in a small jug.
- 4Whisk in eggs, vanilla and oil into flour mixture, then buttermilk mixture. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- 5Spoon ¼ cup (60ml) of mixture into paper cases. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand cakes in pans for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- 6Place chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl; microwave on medium (50%) power for 40-60 seconds or until almost melted. Stir until smooth; cool. Beat the butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy and as white as possible. Beat in the icing sugar mixture and milk. On low speed beat in vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- 7Top cold cakes with Chocolate Buttercream and decorate with chocolate sprinkles and sugar pearls.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- 18 vegetarian lasagne recipesJul 22, 2021
- Very green veggie curryJul 21, 2021
- Spiced vegetable biryaniJul 21, 2021
- Cherry lattice pies for your pie makerJul 21, 2021
- Chicken and vegetable risottoJul 21, 2021