Red velvet cupcakes
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup (275g) caster sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup (160ml) vegetable oil
- chocolate sprinkles and red sugar pearls, to decorate
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 250 g butter, softened
- 500 g icing sugar mixture, sifted
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat the oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Line 2 x 12 hole muffin trays (1/3 cup/80ml) capacity with 22 paper cases.
- 2Sift flours, soda and cocoa powder into a large bowl, add sugar; stir to combine.
- 3Combine the buttermilk and food colouring in a small jug.
- 4Whisk in eggs, vanilla and oil into flour mixture, then buttermilk mixture. Whisk until smooth and combined.
- 5Spoon ¼ cup (60ml) of mixture into paper cases. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand cakes in pans for 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool.
- 6Place chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl; microwave on medium (50%) power for 40-60 seconds or until almost melted. Stir until smooth; cool. Beat the butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy and as white as possible. Beat in the icing sugar mixture and milk. On low speed beat in vanilla extract and melted chocolate.
- 7Top cold cakes with Chocolate Buttercream and decorate with chocolate sprinkles and sugar pearls.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021