Red velvet cake
- 185 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature, plus 100g extra
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250 gram cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
Red velvet cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line base and sides of two 20cm (base diameter) round cake pans with baking paper.
- 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar in a bowl, until light and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, beating lightly after each addition.
- 3Sift cocoa powder and half the flour over egg mixture; fold until just combined. Add buttermilk, vinegar, food colouring and bicarbonate of soda; fold to combine. Add remaining flour mixture; fold until just combined.
- 4Spoon mixture equally into prepared pans; level surface. Bake 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and extra butter in a large bowl, until combined. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar, until light and creamy.
- 6Using a large serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half to make 4 pieces. Place 1 piece of cake on serving plate. Spread with a quarter of the cream cheese icing. Repeat layering. Spread remaining icing over top of cake. Cut into slices. Serve.
If you don't have round cakes, you could use two 12-hole (1/3-cup) muffin trays instead. Line holes with paper cases.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022