Red velvet cake
- 185 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature, plus 100g extra
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid red food colouring
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250 gram cream cheese, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
Red velvet cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line base and sides of two 20cm (base diameter) round cake pans with baking paper.
- 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar in a bowl, until light and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, beating lightly after each addition.
- 3Sift cocoa powder and half the flour over egg mixture; fold until just combined. Add buttermilk, vinegar, food colouring and bicarbonate of soda; fold to combine. Add remaining flour mixture; fold until just combined.
- 4Spoon mixture equally into prepared pans; level surface. Bake 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and extra butter in a large bowl, until combined. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar, until light and creamy.
- 6Using a large serrated knife, cut each cake horizontally in half to make 4 pieces. Place 1 piece of cake on serving plate. Spread with a quarter of the cream cheese icing. Repeat layering. Spread remaining icing over top of cake. Cut into slices. Serve.
If you don't have round cakes, you could use two 12-hole (1/3-cup) muffin trays instead. Line holes with paper cases.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021