- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small (100g) onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 medium (150g) roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (100g) red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cup (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut milk
- lime juice, to taste
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 2 long green chillies, sliced
- 2.5 centimetre fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup (70g) natural yogurt
- warm naan bread, to serve
Red dhal with coconut curry
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat; add the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli powder and cardamom pods. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden and the spices are aromatic.
- 2Add the tomatoes; cook for a further minute before adding the lentils and vegetable stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and the dhal has thickened. Stir the coconut milk through the dhal.
- 3Make coconut chutney: Put the coconut, green chillies, ginger and a generous pinch of salt into a small food processor or blender and process to a fine paste. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- 4In a small frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and, when hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. As the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the coconut mixture, then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- 5Fold the yogurt through the cooled coconut mixture; transfer to a serving bowl.
- 6Serve dhal in small bowls with a spoonful of Coconut Chutney and warm naan.
Dhal suitable to freeze and microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021