- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small (100g) onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 medium (150g) roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup (100g) red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cup (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) coconut milk
- lime juice, to taste
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 2 long green chillies, sliced
- 2.5 centimetre fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1/4 cup (70g) natural yogurt
- warm naan bread, to serve
Red dhal with coconut curry
- 1Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat; add the onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli powder and cardamom pods. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden and the spices are aromatic.
- 2Add the tomatoes; cook for a further minute before adding the lentils and vegetable stock. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and the dhal has thickened. Stir the coconut milk through the dhal.
- 3Make coconut chutney: Put the coconut, green chillies, ginger and a generous pinch of salt into a small food processor or blender and process to a fine paste. Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- 4In a small frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and, when hot, add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. As the mustard seeds begin to pop, add the coconut mixture, then lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- 5Fold the yogurt through the cooled coconut mixture; transfer to a serving bowl.
- 6Serve dhal in small bowls with a spoonful of Coconut Chutney and warm naan.
Dhal suitable to freeze and microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateYesterday 1:00pm
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoYesterday 1:00pm
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020