- 2 cup white spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup (85g) fine polenta
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (85g) rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoon rice malt syrup, extra
- 75 gram fresh raspberries
- 1Combine flour, polenta, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk and syrup. Using a butter knife, ‘cut’ through the mixture until a rough dough forms.
- 2Using a mortar and pestle, crush pink peppercorns. Stir in extract, rind and 1 tablespoon of the extra syrup.
- 3Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly. Press out into a 18cm x 28cm rectangle; spread with peppercorn mixture. Using your hands, tear raspberries into small pieces and sprinkle over dough.
- 4Starting from one long side, roll up dough to form a log. Cut log into 8 slices. Place slices 5cm, cut-side up, on tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until scrolls are risen and light golden. Brush with remaining extra syrup. Serve warm.
Pink peppercorns are unrelated to black peppercorns, they carry no heat and have a pine-like taste slightly similar to juniper berries. If unavailable don’t worry, the recipe will still have plenty of flavour without them. The scrolls are best eaten warm on the day of making. If made earlier in the day, reheat in the oven before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 homemade muesli bars and snack barsYesterday 6:29am
- Quinoa recipes that really hit the spotYesterday 5:27am
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Fennel recipesYesterday 1:47am
- Tuna mornayYesterday 1:00am
- Beef stroganoffJul 12, 2020
- Homemade muesli barsJul 12, 2020
- How to cook corned beef in a pressure cookerJul 12, 2020
- Healthy recipes with mince for dinnerJul 12, 2020
- Couscous, red cabbage and walnut saladJul 12, 2020
- Fabulous frittata recipesJul 12, 2020
- Mixed mushroom stroganoffJul 12, 2020
- Creative cabbage recipesJul 12, 2020
- Christmas in July recipesJul 10, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020