- 2 cup white spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup (85g) fine polenta
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (85g) rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoon rice malt syrup, extra
- 75 gram fresh raspberries
- 1Combine flour, polenta, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk and syrup. Using a butter knife, ‘cut’ through the mixture until a rough dough forms.
- 2Using a mortar and pestle, crush pink peppercorns. Stir in extract, rind and 1 tablespoon of the extra syrup.
- 3Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly. Press out into a 18cm x 28cm rectangle; spread with peppercorn mixture. Using your hands, tear raspberries into small pieces and sprinkle over dough.
- 4Starting from one long side, roll up dough to form a log. Cut log into 8 slices. Place slices 5cm, cut-side up, on tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until scrolls are risen and light golden. Brush with remaining extra syrup. Serve warm.
Pink peppercorns are unrelated to black peppercorns, they carry no heat and have a pine-like taste slightly similar to juniper berries. If unavailable don’t worry, the recipe will still have plenty of flavour without them. The scrolls are best eaten warm on the day of making. If made earlier in the day, reheat in the oven before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019