- 2 cup white spelt flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup (85g) fine polenta
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (85g) rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoon rice malt syrup, extra
- 75 gram fresh raspberries
- 1Combine flour, polenta, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk and syrup. Using a butter knife, ‘cut’ through the mixture until a rough dough forms.
- 2Using a mortar and pestle, crush pink peppercorns. Stir in extract, rind and 1 tablespoon of the extra syrup.
- 3Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly. Press out into a 18cm x 28cm rectangle; spread with peppercorn mixture. Using your hands, tear raspberries into small pieces and sprinkle over dough.
- 4Starting from one long side, roll up dough to form a log. Cut log into 8 slices. Place slices 5cm, cut-side up, on tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until scrolls are risen and light golden. Brush with remaining extra syrup. Serve warm.
Pink peppercorns are unrelated to black peppercorns, they carry no heat and have a pine-like taste slightly similar to juniper berries. If unavailable don’t worry, the recipe will still have plenty of flavour without them. The scrolls are best eaten warm on the day of making. If made earlier in the day, reheat in the oven before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vanilla cake with vanilla bean icingOct 20, 2019
- Wheaty banana muffinsOct 20, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019