- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- pink food colouring
- 1 1/4 cup (200g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon raspberry puree (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar, extra
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pouring cream
- 150 gram (5 ounces) white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (conserve), warmed, sieved
- 1Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and a few drops of colouring, beat until sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to large bowl. Fold in sifted icing sugar, ground almonds and raspberry puree, in two batches.
- 3Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 2cm (¾-inch) plain tube. Pipe 4cm (1½-inch) rounds about 2cm (¾ inch) apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macarons spread slightly. Dust macarons with extra sifted icing sugar; stand 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 5Bake macarons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
- 6Bring cream to the boil in small saucepan, remove from heat; add chocolate, stir until smooth. Stir in jam and a few drops of colouring. Refrigerate until spreadable.
- 7Sandwich macaroons with chocolate filling.
Push 6 fresh or thawed frozen raspberries through a fine sieve to make raspberry puree. Do not use more than one tablespoon or you will change the consistency of the meringue, affecting the result. Do not be tempted to remove macarons from oven trays until completely cool or they will stick. Unfilled macaroons will keep in an airtight container for about a week. Fill macaroons just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Pasta al forno - Italian sausage pasta bakeToday 7:48am
- Vietnamese beef saladToday 6:23am
- Perfect puff pastry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forSep 28, 2020
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamSep 28, 2020
- Cauliflower recipesSep 27, 2020
- Lamb and spinach samosasSep 27, 2020
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesSep 27, 2020
- Easy Danish pastriesSep 27, 2020
- White sauceSep 27, 2020
- Garibaldi sliceSep 27, 2020
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesSep 27, 2020
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020