- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster (superfine) sugar
- pink food colouring
- 1 1/4 cup (200g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon raspberry puree (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon icing (confectioners') sugar, extra
- 1/4 cup (60ml) pouring cream
- 150 gram (5 ounces) white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon raspberry jam (conserve), warmed, sieved
- 1Grease oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and a few drops of colouring, beat until sugar dissolves; transfer mixture to large bowl. Fold in sifted icing sugar, ground almonds and raspberry puree, in two batches.
- 3Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 2cm (¾-inch) plain tube. Pipe 4cm (1½-inch) rounds about 2cm (¾ inch) apart onto trays. Tap trays on bench so macarons spread slightly. Dust macarons with extra sifted icing sugar; stand 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 5Bake macarons about 20 minutes. Cool on trays.
- 6Bring cream to the boil in small saucepan, remove from heat; add chocolate, stir until smooth. Stir in jam and a few drops of colouring. Refrigerate until spreadable.
- 7Sandwich macaroons with chocolate filling.
Push 6 fresh or thawed frozen raspberries through a fine sieve to make raspberry puree. Do not use more than one tablespoon or you will change the consistency of the meringue, affecting the result. Do not be tempted to remove macarons from oven trays until completely cool or they will stick. Unfilled macaroons will keep in an airtight container for about a week. Fill macaroons just before serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021