The heroes of this simple cake – yoghurt, raspberries and nuts – all play a significant part. Yoghurt, like buttermilk in cakes, lightens the batter and provides a delicious lactic tang. The raspberries add bursts of fruitiness in the almond batter, which is also studded with nubbly bits of green pistachio, making this a gorgeous afternoon tea cake.
- 185 g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup (40g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup Greek-style yoghurt
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, blanced, peeled
- 125g fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan; line base and side with two layers of baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, rind and caster sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Fold in sifted flour and almond meal, then yoghurt and pistachios.
- 3Spoon half the mixture into pan; top with a third of the raspberries. Spread with remaining mixture; place another third of the raspberries on top, pushing them into batter; top with remaining raspberries.
- 4Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Just before serving, dust with sifted icing sugar.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 14 banana bread recipesToday 6:48am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Quiche LorraineYesterday 10:55pm
- Old-fashioned curried sausagesYesterday 9:21pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Delicious stir-friesYesterday 1:00pm
- Macaroni cheeseYesterday 1:00pm
- Chilli chicken stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast loin of porkYesterday 1:00pm
- 12 sensational san choy bow recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken satay skewers with crunchy saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken schnitzelYesterday 1:00pm