The heroes of this simple cake – yoghurt, raspberries and nuts – all play a significant part. Yoghurt, like buttermilk in cakes, lightens the batter and provides a delicious lactic tang. The raspberries add bursts of fruitiness in the almond batter, which is also studded with nubbly bits of green pistachio, making this a gorgeous afternoon tea cake.
- 185 g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups (225g) self-raising flour
- ⅓ cup (40g) almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup Greek-style yoghurt
- ½ cup (70g) pistachios, blanced, peeled
- 125g fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan; line base and side with two layers of baking paper.
- 2Beat butter, rind and caster sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Fold in sifted flour and almond meal, then yoghurt and pistachios.
- 3Spoon half the mixture into pan; top with a third of the raspberries. Spread with remaining mixture; place another third of the raspberries on top, pushing them into batter; top with remaining raspberries.
- 4Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 5Just before serving, dust with sifted icing sugar.
Suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What's in season in MarchYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli and Tom Yum prawn fried riceYesterday 5:12am
- Monte carlo biscuitsYesterday 3:00am
- Linguine with garlic prawns & chorizoYesterday 2:00am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 1:02am
- Chewy chocolate sliceFeb 26, 2020
- Chelsea bunsFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon pattiesFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon niçoise tray bakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla custard pieFeb 26, 2020
- Molten chocolate lava cakesFeb 26, 2020
- Mediterranean fish pieFeb 26, 2020
- Melt-and-mix strawberry yoghurt cakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla panna cotta with berry compoteFeb 26, 2020
- White wine mussels with pearl couscousFeb 26, 2020