- 2 x 85g (3oz) packets raspberry jelly crystals
- 500 grams small strawberries
- 250 grams raspberries
- 200 grams sponge cake, cut into 3cm (11/4in) cubes
- ⅓ cup (80ml) sweet sherry
- 500 grams mascarpone
- 2 x 500g (1lb) cartons vanilla bean custard (see tips)
- 600 mL thickened (heavy) cream
- 2 tablespoons icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaked natural almonds
- 1Make jelly according to directions on packet; pour into a 3-litre (12-cup) glass serving bowl. Cut 250g (8oz) of the strawberries in half; add to the jelly with half the raspberries. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until almost set.
- 2Place cake in a medium bowl, sprinkle with sherry;
toss to coat.
- 3Beat mascarpone and custard in a large bowl with
an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Spoon custard mixture over jelly; top with sherry-soaked cake.
- 4Beat cream and half the sifted icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
Spoon cream over cake.
- 5Serve trifle topped with remaining berries and the flaked almonds. Dust with remaining icing sugar.
We used vanilla bean custard, but you can use any good-quality thick dairy custard you like. You can use orange juice or orange-flavoured liqueur instead of the sherry, if you prefer. The trifle can be made 1 day ahead up to the end of step 3; store, covered, in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020