- 1 cup (200g) red or white quinoa
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 100 gram (3 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (75g) sunflower seeds, toasted
- 250 gram (8 ounces) haloumi, cut into 1cm (½-inch) slices
- 3/4 cup (210g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1/3 cup (50g) pomegranate seeds
- 1Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a medium saucepan, cook, covered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool slightly.
- 2Combine garlic, juice, spices and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl, season to taste. Add quinoa to bowl with mint, spinach leaves and seeds, toss gently to combine.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat, cook haloumi for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- 4Serve quinoa salad topped with haloumi, yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
Fresh pomegranate seeds can sometimes be found in the fridge section of supermarkets or good green grocers. If unavailable, cut a whole pomegranate in half and scrape the seeds from flesh with your fingers while holding the pomegranate upside down in a bowl of cold water; the seeds will sink and the white pith will float. Make sure you cook the haloumi just before serving, as it becomes tough and rubbery on cooling. The flavours of warming spices, sour/sweet pomegranate, salty cheese and tangy yoghurt all dance happily together in this salad with nutty quinoa. For something different, swap the quinoa for either lentils, freekeh or barley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Quick & easy minestroneYesterday 2:24am
- Salmon parcels with kipfler potatoesYesterday 12:03am
- 12 brussels sprouts recipesJul 18, 2019
- Ultimate greek saladJul 18, 2019
- Parsnip noodles with spicy lamb meatball raguJul 17, 2019
- 10 oat dessert and snack recipesJul 17, 2019
- Mint jellyJul 17, 2019
- 12 brilliant baked cheesecakesJul 17, 2019
- Roasted sumac chicken with baby vegetablesJul 16, 2019
- Pickled baby beetrootJul 16, 2019
- Easy bolognese recipesJul 16, 2019
- Layered banana butterscotch cakeJul 15, 2019
- French toastJul 13, 2019
- Fabulous French recipesJul 13, 2019
- Slow cooker beef rendangJul 13, 2019