- 1 cup (200g) red or white quinoa
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 100 gram (3 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (75g) sunflower seeds, toasted
- 250 gram (8 ounces) haloumi, cut into 1cm (½-inch) slices
- 3/4 cup (210g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1/3 cup (50g) pomegranate seeds
- 1Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a medium saucepan, cook, covered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool slightly.
- 2Combine garlic, juice, spices and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl, season to taste. Add quinoa to bowl with mint, spinach leaves and seeds, toss gently to combine.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat, cook haloumi for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- 4Serve quinoa salad topped with haloumi, yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
Fresh pomegranate seeds can sometimes be found in the fridge section of supermarkets or good green grocers. If unavailable, cut a whole pomegranate in half and scrape the seeds from flesh with your fingers while holding the pomegranate upside down in a bowl of cold water; the seeds will sink and the white pith will float. Make sure you cook the haloumi just before serving, as it becomes tough and rubbery on cooling. The flavours of warming spices, sour/sweet pomegranate, salty cheese and tangy yoghurt all dance happily together in this salad with nutty quinoa. For something different, swap the quinoa for either lentils, freekeh or barley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Melting momentsAug 09, 2020
- Chai-roasted pumpkin soup with honey walnutsAug 09, 2020
- 20 ways with lemon curdAug 09, 2020
- Yorkshire puddings with gravyAug 09, 2020
- White sauceAug 09, 2020
- Lemon curd and poppy seed crêpe cakeAug 09, 2020
- 15 sweet and savoury scrollsAug 09, 2020
- 20 Australian biscuits from our childhoodsAug 09, 2020
- Beef stroganoffAug 09, 2020
- Easy capsicum recipesAug 09, 2020
- How to make basic sconesAug 09, 2020
- Rice salad recipes for healthy lunchesAug 06, 2020
- Cheesy pastry twistsAug 05, 2020
- Easy Spanish paella recipesAug 05, 2020
- Brilliant broccoli recipesAug 05, 2020
- Lasagne recipe collectionAug 05, 2020