- 1 cup (200g) red or white quinoa
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, loosely packed
- 100 gram (3 ounces) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (75g) sunflower seeds, toasted
- 250 gram (8 ounces) haloumi, cut into 1cm (½-inch) slices
- 3/4 cup (210g) greek-style yoghurt
- 1/3 cup (50g) pomegranate seeds
- 1Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a medium saucepan, cook, covered, over low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool slightly.
- 2Combine garlic, juice, spices and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large bowl, season to taste. Add quinoa to bowl with mint, spinach leaves and seeds, toss gently to combine.
- 3Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over high heat, cook haloumi for 1 minute each side or until golden.
- 4Serve quinoa salad topped with haloumi, yoghurt and pomegranate seeds.
Fresh pomegranate seeds can sometimes be found in the fridge section of supermarkets or good green grocers. If unavailable, cut a whole pomegranate in half and scrape the seeds from flesh with your fingers while holding the pomegranate upside down in a bowl of cold water; the seeds will sink and the white pith will float. Make sure you cook the haloumi just before serving, as it becomes tough and rubbery on cooling. The flavours of warming spices, sour/sweet pomegranate, salty cheese and tangy yoghurt all dance happily together in this salad with nutty quinoa. For something different, swap the quinoa for either lentils, freekeh or barley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesToday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawYesterday 2:00pm
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasYesterday 2:00pm
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato and leek soupYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Miso noodle hotpotYesterday 2:00pm
- Mini chicken and leek piesYesterday 2:00pm
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- 31 perfect pot pies for easy dinnersJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021