Quince tarte tartin
- 4 medium quinces (1.2kg)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 40 gram butter
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) icing sugar
- 100 gram butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water, approximately
Quince tarte tartin
- 1Peel and core quinces; quarter lengthways.
- 2Place quince in large saucepan with sugar, the water, juice and rind; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 2½ hours or until quince is rosy in colour. Using slotted spoon, remove quinces from syrup; bring syrup to the boil. Boil, uncovered, until syrup reduces to ¾ cup. Stir in butter.
- 3Meanwhile, make pastry. Blend or process flour, sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and enough of the water to make the ingredients just come together. Shape dough into ball, enclose in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line base of deep 22cm- round cake pan with baking paper.
- 5Place quince, rounded-sides down, in pan; pour syrup over quince.
- 6Roll pastry between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line base of pan. Lift pastry into pan, tucking pastry down side of pan.
- 7Bake tart about 30 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly. Cool in pan 5 minutes; turn tart onto serving plate.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020