- 3 medium quince (1kg)
- ¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 6 sheets fillo pastry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfi+ne) sugar, extra
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (40g) almond meal
- ¼ cup (40g) roasted almonds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 cup (280g) greek yoghurt
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 2Peel quince; reserve half the peel. Cut quince into quarters,
do not core.
- 3Stir sugar, 3 cups (750ml) water, wine, cinnamon stick and vanilla in a large cast iron casserole or baking dish over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add quince and reserved peel, bring to the boil; cover with a piece of baking paper then cover tightly with foil or
a lid (make sure quince is submerged in the liquid).
- 4Bake quince for 5 hours, turning twice, or until quince are tender and deep red in colour. Leave quince in syrup to cool.
- 5Remove quince from syrup with a slotted spoon. Cut cores from quince; cut each quarter in half lengthways. Strain syrup; discard solids. Reserve 2 cups (500ml) of the syrup. Return quince to remaining syrup; stand until required. Place reserved syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Cool.
- 6Preheat oven to 210°C/420°F. Grease a large oven tray; place tray in oven while heating.
- 7Layer pastry sheets in alternate directions, on a large piece of baking paper, brushing each layer with some of the oil.
- 8Combine extra sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl; reserve 2 tablespoons. Combine almond meal with remaining cinnamon sugar. Sprinkle almond mixture over pastry leaving a 10cm (4in) border. Arrange drained quince over almond mixture, fold pastry edge over quince. Transfer galette, on baking paper,
to preheated tray. Brush pastry edges with remaining oil, then sprinkle with reserved cinnamon sugar.
- 9Bake galette for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp. Drizzle with most of the reduced syrup; sprinkle with almonds and dust with sifted icing sugar. Serve galette with yoghurt drizzled with remaining syrup.
Quince can be prepared to the end of step 4 up to 3 days ahead; store, covered, in the refrigerator.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021