- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, halved, scraped
- 1 cinnamon
- 4 (approx 1.4kg) quince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- creme fraiche, to serve
Sour cream pastry
- 250 gram plain flour
- 200 gram cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- 1Preheat oven at 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
- 2Place sugar, water, vanilla and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves; bring to boil.
- 3Wash, peel and quarter the quince, cut quarters in half again if too large. Put fruit immediately into hot syrup and pour mixture into a deep large enamelled cast-iron casserole dish or baking dish; cover and cook for 4 hours or until just tender.
- 4Remove from oven and cool slightly before taking cinnamon and vanilla bean.
- 5Strain mixture and return syrup to pan, boil for 15 minutes or until mixture becomes a syrup like consistency; keep warm.
- 6Preheat oven at 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 7To make sour cream pastry, place flour and butter into a food processor, process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add sour cream, process until well combined.
- 8Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Remove top sheet of baking paper. Place quince quarters into the centre of pastry, leaving a 6cm border. Fold over edges, slightly overlapping and brush top with egg. Sprinkle with sugar. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 9Serve warm topped with a dollop of creme fraiche and a drizzle of warm syrup.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsToday 5:00pm
- Salted honeycombToday 1:00pm
- Tuna mornayToday 12:00am
- Flourless cakesYesterday 11:39pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Dinner date recipes to impressYesterday 5:50am
- The big chocolate cookieYesterday 5:26am
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 3:28am
- 100 years of Australian dinnersYesterday 1:19am
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 30, 2020
- Coconut dessert recipesMar 30, 2020
- Fast dessertsMar 30, 2020
- Lebanese recipesMar 30, 2020
- Cheesy tuna pasta bakeMar 30, 2020
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeMar 30, 2020
- Quick versions of your favourite dessert recipesMar 30, 2020