Quince and rhubarb pie
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 2 cup (440g) caster sugar
- 4 (1.2kg) quinces, peeled, quartered
- 2 strips lemon rind
- 500 gram rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 100 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- thickened cream, to serve
Quince and rhubarb pie
- 1Stir the water and sugar in medium saucepan over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Add quince and rind; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, then simmer with the lid on for about 2 hours, or until quinces are tender and a rosy colour. Add rhubarb and cook 5 minutes or until rhubarb softens. Add juice to taste, to reduce sweetness. Cool quince and rhubarb in the syrup.
- 2Meanwhile, process flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and iced water, process until ingredients just come together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 23cm pie dish.
- 4Drain fruit mixture, reserving 1/3 cup of the syrup. Spoon fruit mixture and reserved syrup into dish.
- 5Roll out pastry until large enough to cover pie. Using a 1cm cutter, cut out rounds from pastry, reserving rounds. Place pastry over filling, trim edge with a knife. Place rounds on pastry, brush a little of the lightly beaten egg white over pastry; sprinkle with raw sugar. Place pie on an oven tray.
- 6Bake for about 30 minutes or until well browned. (Cover the edges of the pastry with foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning.) Stand 10 minutes before serving with thickened cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 46 creative ways with carrotsAug 11, 2022
- Mushroom soupAug 11, 2022
- Gluten free shortcrust pastryAug 10, 2022
- Gluten-free chocolate and almond biscuitsAug 10, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinAug 10, 2022
- Gluten free cornflake and honey sconesAug 10, 2022
- Italian meatballsAug 10, 2022
- How to sterilise and seal glass jarsAug 10, 2022
- Cumquat ginger marmaladeAug 10, 2022
- 4-ingredient triple choc browniesAug 09, 2022
- 46 sweet slice recipesAug 09, 2022
- How to cook pastaAug 08, 2022
- Chicken carbonara baked pastaAug 08, 2022