Quince and rhubarb pie
- 2 cup (500ml) water
- 2 cup (440g) caster sugar
- 4 (1.2kg) quinces, peeled, quartered
- 2 strips lemon rind
- 500 gram rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 100 gram cold butter, chopped
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- thickened cream, to serve
Quince and rhubarb pie
- 1Stir the water and sugar in medium saucepan over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Add quince and rind; bring to the boil. Reduce heat, then simmer with the lid on for about 2 hours, or until quinces are tender and a rosy colour. Add rhubarb and cook 5 minutes or until rhubarb softens. Add juice to taste, to reduce sweetness. Cool quince and rhubarb in the syrup.
- 2Meanwhile, process flour, icing sugar and butter until crumbly. Add egg yolk and iced water, process until ingredients just come together. Knead gently on a floured surface until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 3Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 23cm pie dish.
- 4Drain fruit mixture, reserving 1/3 cup of the syrup. Spoon fruit mixture and reserved syrup into dish.
- 5Roll out pastry until large enough to cover pie. Using a 1cm cutter, cut out rounds from pastry, reserving rounds. Place pastry over filling, trim edge with a knife. Place rounds on pastry, brush a little of the lightly beaten egg white over pastry; sprinkle with raw sugar. Place pie on an oven tray.
- 6Bake for about 30 minutes or until well browned. (Cover the edges of the pastry with foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning.) Stand 10 minutes before serving with thickened cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 6:37am
- 28 picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Spring rollsYesterday 1:55am
- Mixed berry muffinsYesterday 12:30am
- Almond caramel barsSep 23, 2021
- Sausage rollsSep 23, 2021
- Mussels in tomato sauceSep 23, 2021
- Air fryer vegetable spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Our 23 best toastie recipesSep 23, 2021
- Thai spring rollsSep 23, 2021
- Teriyaki chicken salad rollsSep 23, 2021
- Easy vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2021
- TabboulehSep 23, 2021
- Greek salad lamb pitta pocketsSep 23, 2021
- 20 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertSep 23, 2021