Quick-mix chocolate cake
- cooking-oil spray
- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 90 gram (3 ounces) dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 30 gram (1 ounce) butter
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 tablespoon hot water
Quick-mix chocolate cake
- 1Turn on the oven to 180°C/350°F and let it heat up. Spray a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan with cooking oil; line the base with a circle of baking paper, use a strip of baking paper to line the side of pan.
- 2Put the butter, vanilla extract, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and cocoa, and the water into a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are just mixed together. Turn up the speed to medium; beat the mixture for about 3 minutes or until it is smooth and pale in colour.
- 3Put the mixture into the pan; use a spatula to spread it evenly over the base. Put the pan in the oven and bake about 1 hour. Take the pan out of the oven; leave it for 5 minutes. Turn the cake from the pan onto a wire rack, top-side up; leave it to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make the chocolate icing. Put the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Half-fill a small saucepan with water; bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and let the water simmer. Put the bowl of chocolate mixture on top of the saucepan; stir the mixture until it is smooth. Add a little of the sifted icing sugar and some of the water; stir until mixture is smooth. Keep adding the sifted icing sugar and the water, a little bit at a time, stirring, until the icing is spreadable.
- 5When the cake is cold, spread the chocolate icing over the top with the back of a spoon or a metal spatula.
Store cake in an airtight container for up to three days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salsa verdeYesterday 2:00pm
- Potatoes with lemon and tomatoAug 05, 2022
- Popcorn butterscotch squaresAug 05, 2022
- Roast pork with apple sauceAug 04, 2022
- Lamb and lentil saladAug 04, 2022
- Chicken koftas with fig and seed pilafAug 04, 2022
- Chicken, mushroom and leek fricasseeAug 04, 2022
- Mexican riceAug 03, 2022
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsAug 03, 2022
- Herb-crumbed baked beansAug 03, 2022
- 34 delicious desserts with an easy biscuit crustAug 03, 2022
- 51 really good rhubarb recipesAug 03, 2022
- Creative ways with celeriacAug 03, 2022
- 50 lemon dessert recipesAug 03, 2022