Quick-mix chocolate cake
- cooking-oil spray
- 125 gram (4 ounces) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup (275g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 90 gram (3 ounces) dark eating (semi-sweet) chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 30 gram (1 ounce) butter
- 1 cup (160g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 tablespoon hot water
Quick-mix chocolate cake
- 1Turn on the oven to 180°C/350°F and let it heat up. Spray a deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan with cooking oil; line the base with a circle of baking paper, use a strip of baking paper to line the side of pan.
- 2Put the butter, vanilla extract, sugar, eggs, sifted flour and cocoa, and the water into a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are just mixed together. Turn up the speed to medium; beat the mixture for about 3 minutes or until it is smooth and pale in colour.
- 3Put the mixture into the pan; use a spatula to spread it evenly over the base. Put the pan in the oven and bake about 1 hour. Take the pan out of the oven; leave it for 5 minutes. Turn the cake from the pan onto a wire rack, top-side up; leave it to cool.
- 4Meanwhile, make the chocolate icing. Put the chocolate and butter in a small heatproof bowl. Half-fill a small saucepan with water; bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and let the water simmer. Put the bowl of chocolate mixture on top of the saucepan; stir the mixture until it is smooth. Add a little of the sifted icing sugar and some of the water; stir until mixture is smooth. Keep adding the sifted icing sugar and the water, a little bit at a time, stirring, until the icing is spreadable.
- 5When the cake is cold, spread the chocolate icing over the top with the back of a spoon or a metal spatula.
Store cake in an airtight container for up to three days.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- The-night-before Christmas ice-cream cakeYesterday 11:50pm
- CassataYesterday 1:00pm
- Hash brownsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Julie Goodwin shares her chocolate trifle recipeNov 20, 2019
- Melting momentsNov 20, 2019
- Best ever Christmas fruit cake recipeNov 20, 2019
- Fresh apricot jamNov 20, 2019
- Spiced Christmas biscuitsNov 20, 2019
- Super-moist rich fruit cakeNov 20, 2019
- How to cook lamb backstrapNov 20, 2019
- Brandy custardNov 20, 2019
- Moist Christmas cakeNov 20, 2019
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 20, 2019